The fort of the Dutch :
The Central Jail in Rajahmundry is one of the places to visit. This was the fort
constructed(Spread in an area of 35.02 Acre’s) by the Dutch when they came here
for their trade. This Fort was converted into Jail during the British Rule. It was
given the status of Central Jail in 1847. This is the biggest and the oldest jail
with complete protection in Andhra Pradesh. According to 1991 reports there were
584 life prisoners, 581 long duration and 355 short duration prisoners in this Jail.
Rajahmundry was under the Dutch rule for some time.This fort was constructed nearly
two centuries ago. There three store rooms(Each 10 ft height x 10ft width x 10ft
length) in the city to store Armors and Ammunition. There was a small opening on
the top of the room through which the armors were taken out. These places were called
as Magazines. One is in the Fort, second one in the street just opposite to the
west gate of Municipal Office and adjacent to the old sub collector’s office behind
the Apsara hotel was the third. The two places in the city are now being used either
to store/to destroy the records. In 1857 the British conquered the Dutch and they
converted this big fort into central Jail. There was one big temple inside the fort.
The carvings on the pillars at the entrance to the DIG's office supports this statement.
We can find a statue of "Gajalakshmi"(A statue of goddess Lakshmi
with two elephants on both sides), the deity of Gajapathi rulers at the main entrance.
one of the tributaries of Godavari used to run through very near to this fort. In
due course it changed its direction of flow. This fort was the cell for many freedom
fighters and leaders during the freedom movement.
[Now & then of Rajahmundry]
[Fortgate - Kotagummam]